Sunday, July 17, 2011

An A"pea"ling experiment...yuk, yuk yuk!

I finished picking all my peas for this year...maybe.  I got a pretty huge crop of peas this year and I ended up shelling and freezing a pretty good chunk of them.  I pulled the old plants because they haven't been producing new blossoms since it has gotten so warm.  I decided to experiment with a "fall crop" of peas because I have quite a few heirloom seeds left over from last year.  I just tilled & planted some new seeds today & we'll see if we get that fall harvest in.

If it doesn't work out I'm not too worried...I've got plenty of pods that were too big to eat that can be used as seed for next year.

I'll follow up on my pea experiment on a later post.  I'm also researching squash pollination & cross pollination & hope to be able to put a blog together on that soon. 

I'm sure this blog seems a little boring, but I really do love my garden & my feeble attempt to get back to the basics of living. We seem to rely all too much on products that everybody deems safe & convenient (and yes, I still partake of some of those products), but where possible I'd like to take care of things myself.  That is part of the reason I plant a garden of large proportion & preserve the food I grow for later use.

1 comment:

  1. I love peas sooooo much! I have the best memories of picking peas in Grandpa's garden and how sweet and delicious they were. Do you blanch your peas before freezing, or are they raw? They look fabulous!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete