Wednesday, June 15, 2011

And the first strawberries of the season go to...


Miles!!!
My boy loves his strawberries.  I finally got the patch cleared of weeds this past week so the sun could shine down on our little berries.  We should be getting quite a bunch this year as most of our plants are everbearing.


Another reason to celebrate is the amount of greens we've been getting.  I planted the "European Mesclun Salad" pack I purchased from the Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company.  We planted this in a small corner of our back yard where the fences connect.  It stays cool in that spot so we're just going to keep it there from now on.  This mix has lettuce, radicchio, arugula, endive, orach, mizuna, kale, mustard, corn salad and more (we've been getting some really awesome spinach out of it).  The swiss chard in the picture is from a different plant, but adds a nice flavor when mixed with the rest. 
If you're ever in my neck of the woods, stop by for a tasty salad or smoothie!

3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing. I'm still waiting for my strawberries to ripen. They're plentiful, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it next week! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be getting into seed saving soon. Some of my lettuce mix & my chard will be seeding soon. The other stuff will come later.

    ReplyDelete